Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hey You Guys!

This afternoon I was talking with David and helping him sound out some words and many times when I do that I think of my all time favorite kids' show The Electric Company. It was so cool in such a big city way for this kid from Nebraska. People on the show really seemed to be having fun to me, as oppossed to Sesame Street where things were just a little too clean and moral. The Electric Company was colorful and abstract, it certainly had an edge. Maybe it was the vampire or fanatical yelling intro that made me think that this show was just a bit cooler than the rest, and held me in rapt attention for thirty minute chunks of my life.

My favorite part of the show was the talking silhouette heads, you know, they faced each other and one would say "p" and the other would say "at" then they both would say "pat" and so on for about ten words. I loved that. I would always try to guess what word they were going to come up with after the first letter was said...would it be c-ar, car or c-at, cat or c-an, can...it was all so mysterious to my six year old mind. When I help David with his words, little does he know that two black heads on blue backgrounds are talking in my head.

3-2-1 Contact was another favorite. The Bloodhound Gang was so cool to me. Here are these kids solving these crazy mysteries. I wanted to be just like them, bell bottoms and all. Plus, you always actually learned something on Contact; it was like Discovery channel lite.

Now, my kid watches Sesame Street and a large part of that is Elmo. I've got mixed feelings about this and for the most part it seems harmless enough. I look forward to him growing out of this stage and into Reading Between the Lions. The dad lion totally reminds me of my dad-earing and all. As a mom Jakers is by far my favorite show. Not that anything is really being taught on that show, it's just a couple of brogue speaking farm animals growing up and learining little life lessons. Piggly is a cutie pie though, and has a tender heart-so I guess that's what I hope David takes away.

No comments: